January 11 2011 by Claudia Kunkel
January 1, 2011. The older you get, the more times you say to yourself "where did the year go?" This year is no different - the year just flew by. Statistically, 50% of us make New Year's Resolutions; how many of us keep them is anyone's guess. We say we'll go to the gym more, lose weight, eat better, work harder so we can play harder and the list goes on. This year my resolution is going to be to travel more....maybe revisit places I've been and explore new ones. So, below are a few travel resolutions that I'd like to make a serious attempt at keeping this year:
- Travel with my husband more. Perhaps not all the way to the Democratic Republic of Congo, but at least as far as London or Johannesburg. I'll leave exploring the Congo to him for now, but having never been to London, I think the time has come to visit Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London.
- Skiing Summit County in Colorado. I haven't skied at Copper Mountain in a few years and the snow is supposed to be fantastic this winter. An additional bonus is having great friends live nearby - so I can enjoy catching up with old friends as well as getting in a few great runs.
- Head back to Cinque Terre in Italy. One of my all time favorite places to visit. Stay longer this time-explore more, eat more, drink more of the great wine and get to know the locals better. Spend enough time to immerse myself in the culture and maybe pickup a little more Italian while I'm at it.
- More trips to Ohio to spend time with our oldest daughter and exploring more of the surrounding countryside. Perhaps another trip back to Kentucky to drive the Kentucky Bourbon Trail and visit more of the beautiful Kentucky horse farms.
- Visit the southeastern part of the United States. Ever since I read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", I've always wanted to see Savannah and Charleston with their lovely old architecture and southern charm.
Well, that is probably all I can possibly hope to do in 2011 as far as my travels go. With any luck, I'll get a few of these trips in and hopefully a few unexpected trips just for the pure pleasure of picking up and going on a moment's notice.
Have you made your travel resolutions for 2011? Let me know where you're headed, I might just have to add them to my list.