March 21 2010 by Bryson Forbes
This year's list of my top five travel must-haves is the best one yet. An overarching theme is tough to determine but hopefully there's something for everyone.
- For the couch potato .who's away from his or her stead, I give you Slingbox This little gem allows you to basically bring your TV on the road with you. All you need is internet access and you can literally watch your TV and your local channels--including the ability to watch and record PVR! They've also recently launched Sling Player for your iPhone! I remember travelling through the U.S. during the NHL playoffs and it was easier to find coverage of the Horseshoe Championship of the World. Could have really used Slingbox!
- For those concerned with leaving a travel footprint, you need to get yourself a solar powered bag. One day in the sun and you can fully power up your laptop, cell phone and iPod all using only solar power. The bag, which has a battery pack which charges up and then can be used anytime, comes in many different styles and colours and will cost anywhere between $200 and $500.
- For the ultra-cool traveler, you can no longer hit the road without an iPhone. This all-in-one phone and its thousands of apps provide phone service, a camera, GPS, Internet access and the ability to book travel along the way. Great apps like Best Western To Go make life on the road with an iPhone a breeze.
- For all the international jetsetters: how many of you have been so confused by which power adapter works where? Never be forced to pretend you even understand that stuff again...just pick up 150 country adapter. This combination device has a USB port and makes everything work almost anywhere. A $40 investment now means you'll never need to buy anything else.
- For the paranoid traveller with trust issues and a sense of humour--this is definitely a great way to conceal your valuables on the road. Check out some of the options at Home Spy Safe Cans, but remember: if you're getting it by airport security, you may want to avoid liquids that might pose a problem, avoid flammable items or liquids that are over the allowable limit.
Any groovy new must-have gadgets you've come across recently?